Sara Franklin is an artist, illustrator and surface pattern designer who loves creating colourful designs from her LA studio. Sara grew up in southern California, where Summer trips to the beach inspired her sense of style and creativity. This ultimately led to her career in illustration and in 2007 she attended the National Stationery Show to launch her line of greeting cards. Some of her clients include Better Homes & Gardens, Billabong and LA Confidential. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Sara Franklin.
– Transcript –
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
My style is whimsical, painterly and textured. I love to mix drawings with watercolor details. I’m all about layering and color
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process
I’ll start by sketching and painting until something really strikes me! Along the way I’ll be questioning what I want my piece to say. I love the sense of possibilities.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
My husband is my biggest creative inspiration! He is also my business partner and he is very supportive of my art. He gives me positive support when I need it most and let’s me do my thing when he knows I’m “in the zone”. When I ask him for feedback he gives me great insight.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
Walking in nature and snapping lots of pictures always inspires me. Traveling or learning a new skill is also a great way to get inspired!
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
I think the best thing to do is just be yourself and do what you are truly passionate about. If you are excited about something others will be too and your energy will fuel your work. Always keep going, believe in yourself and never give up!