Brittany Zeller-Holland is a pattern-passionate designer and founder of Two if by Sea Studios, which she runs from Michigan. Brittany is an insatiable creator and loves creating new surface pattern designs that she then adorns on Etsy products. She works from a small desk but her ideas are big and influenced by her travels to Patagonia and Mongolia. She loves creating geometric designs, lively palette combinations and modern designs of nature and the seasons. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Brittany Zeller-Holland.
– Transcript –
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
I love playing with new art techniques from embroidery to encaustics and those experiments are often scanned and combined with digital styles to form my designs.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
The research phase of a new project is definitely my favorite. I love hunting down trends and compiling mood boards! Then I get out paints and pens and start sketching.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
Through the years I have worked with so many talented designers and mentors. The common thread among the ones I respect most seems to be balance in their lives, ownership of their style and their constant search for betterment and new direction in their art.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
Everyday moments and travel are my inspiration. I crave the feeling of arriving in places I’ve never been before. I seek out new spots around the world as often as possible. Everyday moments such as color in nature and research of ancient art at the library also inspire me.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
A desire to design with my heart has led me here. My past in-house positions prepared me for client interactions, product development and gave me business acumen I needed. But nothing truly prepares you for the amount of focus it takes to build your own business and harness your ideas.