Miriam Bos is a pattern designer and children’s book illustrator, working from her own studio, based in the Netherlands. Miriam is passionate about creating joyful and warm art and illustrations that bring a smile to her customers face. She actually discovered surface pattern design, through her love of creating children’s book illustrations. Full of new ideas she started to create designs based on nature, including flowers, birds and even fun whimsical shapes. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Miriam Bos.
– Transcript –
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
My artwork can be described as sunny, quirky and experimental. I try to find a balance between following trends and just doing the stuff I really like to make myself.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
I tend to grab my sketchbook first and draw icons and line art to warm up. Often I use Google to find photos that I could use as reference or inspiration.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
Definitely my mum. She always stimulated and challenged my younger sister and I to try out new things. We were always creating something new. It could be a collage, a painting or something funny we sculpted from bread dough. My mum is always making new things and trying out new materials. She sews spectacular costumes, makes clay sculptures and miniature worlds, or is felting scarves and elven shoes from wool.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
I go to the gym daily to exercise on a hometrainer. I have a notebook and pen at hand and while working out I get the best ideas or simply clear my mind.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Hard work and be open to learn new things. It doesn’t mean that the road to follow is always easy. But my advice would be to keep on trying. Set clear goals for yourself and try to work towards them the best way you can.