Designer insights with Jessica Greenwalt

Jessica Greenwalt is a freelance graphic designer and illustrator, working from California for hundreds of different clients. Jessica has been creating designs since leaving high school, and has worked for clients all over the world, including prestigious companies and institutions such as LinkedIn, University of Berkeley, Michigan State University and SmugMug. She also offers advice to young and aspiring designers, helping them to follow in her footsteps. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Jessica Greenwalt.

Designer Insights - Jessica Greenwalt

- Transcript -

1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?

My design style is flexible, but for my personal interior design projects I prefer an eclectic, world-traveler, antique, Victorian, mix.

2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?

I start by collecting images for inspiration. I find images on Pinterest, Houzz, and Google. I also get a lot of great ideas from the Victorians in San Francisco.

3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?

I went to college with Jimmy Dinh. We had the same classes, entered the same competitions, and were designers for the school newspaper. He is an incredibly talented designer and illustrator. I thought his projects were the best in class. Seeing his polished, bold vector illustrations pushed me to refine my style. By working with him, I learned a lot of useful practices not only in design, but in project and team management as well.

4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?

Sometimes when I’m overwhelmed with how much I have to get done, I’ll head to the kava bar in Berkeley. It has a chill atmosphere, a great crowd, and piles of sketchbooks and color pencils. After drawing at the kava bar for a few hours, I’m ready to work on anything.

5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?

Find someone you can learn from. Work with designers who are better than you. Push yourself to reach their level, then exceed it. The people you surround yourself with shape the person you grow into, so make sure you’re around those who can help you become who you want to be.