Marcelo Melamed is the owner and head designer of Stor New York, which he founded in 2010 to refurbish old and discarded furniture. Marcelo upcycles pieces even now, but his style has evolved to create elegant, handcrafted pieces heavily influenced by Danish style. In fact, his work is heavily inspired by minimalist and vintages aesthetics of New York and Brooklyn. Each piece is completely bespoke and made by hand using local vendors and materials. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Marcelo Melamed.
– Transcript –
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
We focus on building elegant, handcrafted pieces influenced by Scandinavian Modern style, and also heavily inspired by the vintage, minimalist aesthetic of downtown New York and Brooklyn.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
We put together the functionality of mcm design with innovation & superb craftsmanship so that every piece has a heirloom quality and meets the client needs to the very last detail.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
We work closely with many New York based interior designers. Some of the most innovative are Kira De Paola and Will Saks.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
We love wood, and when there’s passion in what you do, inspiration comes from everywhere. But remember the quote from Picasso… “Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working.”.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
The most important thing is that you should be the first one to trust your vision, and in order to get wherever you want to go, you should take with you more passion, perseverance & hard work than what you can carry.