Brian McAlpine is the founder and principal designer of Eternal Furniture & Design, a one man shop offering new ideas and traditional techniques from his studio in Boston, Massachusetts. Brian specialises in handmade furniture, emphasising minimalist lines. He utilises traditional joinery practices to create high quality furniture of the utmost quality. Brian actually hand selects each piece of wood, working with its natural look to create furniture that will stand the test of time. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Brian McAlpine.
– Transcript –
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
My design style is simple yet sophisticated. It’s a blend of organic and modern design rooted in traditional craftsmanship where attention to detail and quality are the focus.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
The creative process depends on the job. Some start with client meetings that lead to designs that fit their needs but hold true to my aesthetics and quality. While times my projects start out as a vision in my head and are made out of a desire to make it a reality.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
It is really difficult to name just one person because I have been lucky to call many artists and designers my friends and clients. Each one has influenced me in their own way and has my respect.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
Sketches. Get the pencil on paper. There is no better way.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Furniture and design is all I think about. I sweat every detail and strive for perfection. It’s impossible for me to consider doing anything else, nor do I want to. When you love something you seek growth and don’t quit.