Cristian Arostegui is the principal designer and founder of Arostegui Studio, creating original and eclectic furniture from British Columbia, Canada. Cristian designs bespoke furniture and home products, as well as limited editions for both interiors and exteriors, as well as commercial and residential properties. He takes pride in using local products and reclaimed materials for much of his work as possible. Cristian’s designs are honest, memorable and utterly unique creations for his many clients. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Cristian Arostegui.
– Transcript –
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
I have an eclectic style, adapting and evolving with each project. I am always trying to create unique pieces, playing with mixing materials and elements from many different styles.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
Research, concept, hand sketches, computer (2D and 3D drawings) and finally, construction. During each step the design evolves until its final form.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
The creative people I respect the most are those who have been open to changing their minds and accepting criticism about their work in order to grow as a professional. I very much respect their maturity and lack of ego. These can be hard specimens to find in the design world!
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
I can’t turn off the observer in me. Wherever I go I am constantly taking photos or making sketches of interesting objects, shapes, materials and colours, whether man-made or in nature.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
I finally prioritized my desire to do what I enjoy the most and make this into my career. When your work aligns with your passions, it doesn’t feel so much like working. That being said, starting your own business is not without challenges and sacrifices. Being surrounded by positive people and inspiring mentors has been invaluable.