Miles Dexter is the founder of M-Dex Design, which he established in 2012, after finishing university. Miles takes pride in designing and crafting contemporary furniture and home decor products. The majority of his work is unique as he creates many bespoke pieces. He describes his work as ‘Ur-ganic’ a combination of organic and urban, utilising these very different styles to create one of a kind pieces that stand the test of time. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Miles Dexter.
– Transcript –
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
I try not label myself, or follow trends or fashions, but the following would best describe my style- Urban yet organic, in one word, ‘Ur-ganic’,
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
It’s usually a material, a process, or technique that’s triggers my imagination. From there it can involve some rough sketches, some model making, and usually lots of experimenting/testing
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
I’m quite new to the industry, my business is only in its 3rd year of trading so I can’t really answer that right now
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
I do a lot of travelling on public transport, buses and trains, I find this is a time for me to think, write ideas down, this is a time when the light bulb can suddenly turn on !
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Well I put myself through university as a mature student, and graduated with a degree in Furniture and Product Design in 2011. In 2012 at the age of 42, I made the decision to start my own design practice. As for advice, I would say be patient, keep going when it’s tough, it can be a roller coaster at times, so be prepared! The best way to learn is by doing, mistakes happen, learn from them too, and move on.