Michelle Johnston is a DIY and interiors blogger, writing on her blog Jarrah Jungle about the renovation of her 1960s West Australian home. Michelle loves doing up her home on a budget and carrying out most of the work herself, with some help from her husband. She writes about everything home related, from recipes and party ideas to decorating and DIY projects. Michelle has also been nominated for a number of blog awards. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Michelle Johnston.
– Transcript –
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
My style is eclectic, a mixture of old and new, with bold punches of colour and pattern to brighten things up and add personality.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
Working out what the space is used for and what we already have to work with and then finding a functional but stylish solution.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
My partner Mr P, he’s a self taught DIYer who is never afraid to get his hands dirty and will give anything a go, but also knows when to call in the professionals. He’s also very supportive of my design ideas encouraging me to go braver and bolder with each renovation we tackle. Together we make an awesome renovating team!
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
Visual inspiration comes to me online via Pinterest and Instagram, both are fantastic sources for ideas. Flipping through the latest Real Living magazine also gets my creativity going.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
I don’t work in the design field, but I do write about it on my blog as a way to share the trials and triumphs of first time home renovating. My advice is to take a chance, because with the right amount of creativity and paint, any home improvement project is possible!
Embed This Image On Your Site (copy code below):