Anne-Marie Nixey is the owner of Qing Art (with business partner Mao Ping) a retailer of chinese furniture, which they founded in 2007. Anne-Marie first met Mao, whilst she was working at a college in Beijing, China. Since then their friendship blossomed and their love of oriental furniture helped them to showcase Chinese furniture. They are currently branching out, expanding their furniture range and selection of Chinese ceramics. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Anne-Marie Nixey.
– Transcript –
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
Whether antique or bespoke, all of our work is picked for its attention to detail, its beauty and desirability. Own something to be proud of!
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
I look for pieces that make me feel good, colours, textures and then see how they relate together. The ones you love the most stand out in the crowd.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
I work with a lot of artists and designers but I am always inspired when I sell to a customer, deliver a piece to their house and see how well it fits in with their original décor. I think ‘Could I have done that, chosen that piece for there?’. It helps me see so many ideas that I may not have thought of.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
Go and look! Art galleries, shops, other people’s houses. Take your mind away from the norm. We are extremely different at Qing and I like quirky, so exploring helps.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Be bold! Always. I was a teacher, lived abroad, worked with a lot of creative people and wanted to bring the best art work from China to people’s homes. Not the stereotypical ideas that there are about Chinese interiors but the beautiful parts that enhance our own designs. Create your own style!
Embed This Image On Your Site (copy code below):