Claire Potter is an interior designer, working from her self-named design firm Claire Potter Design, based in Brighton since 2008. Claire is committed to her passion of creating fantastic, as well as ethically and environmentally-conscious designed projects. Since the formation of her company she has completely over 75 interior and landscape projects throughout the UK, and has spoke internationally at a number of design events about sustainable design. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Claire Potter.
– Transcript –
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
My studio specialises in sustainable design, so we use lots of reclaimed pieces and materials in our work. This gives our projects individuality and quite an eclectic nature.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
We first really understand the context of the project – who is it for, why, what is needed, what is aspired to etc then we brainstorm concepts to communicate this.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
I am very lucky as I have been able to work with many creative people, across many disciplines since the studio started and I admire each of them for their commitment and drive to their work. But, if I had to choose one person to work with in the future, it would be Sir Paul Smith – he is creative yet grounded and is a wonderfully eccentric gent.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
Inspiration really can come from anywhere – we look online at blogs and Pinterest, but often we go to our own collections of photos and scribbles of ideas in our sketchbooks.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
I think that the most important thing is to be truly passionate about what you do and work hard. Design and especially sustainable design is my obsession, so even when not working, I tend to be working – absorbing stuff from everywhere that can be used in new projects. Be obsessive!