Choosing the right base style for your bed is equally as important as your mattress and other aspects of your bed investment. Not only does the type of base you choose influence the durability and life of your mattress, but also the way you sleep as well. Therefore when choosing between a slatted bed base and a plywood base here’s a few points of advice to help you make the right choice.
- Understand the benefits of a slatted base: Slatted bases offer great support to the back area as they’re able to adapt to various amounts of weight placed upon them. They also offer a good level of ventilation giving even amounts of air circulation to your mattress.
- Understand the benefits of a plywood base: Plywood bed bases are a solid wooden base like that of a platform top offering even support to all areas of your mattress. They also help to offer a much more firm feel and support to the sleeper aiding in back support.
- Know the downside to a slatted base: Though slatted bed bases have their benefits they also have their disadvantages as well. For example there are certain mattress types that would be unsuitable for a slatted base, such as solid memory foam mattress. This is due to the fact the slatted structure of this base type is unable to support all areas of a dense mattress such as a memory foam. There is also the possibly of the memory foam pushing between the base slats affecting both its life and quality.
- Know the downside to a plywood base: A downside to a plywood (platform) bed base is that due to its structure it may make the mattress to firm. In turn this offers less give and comfort to the user’s body as they sleep during the night. Every user’s sleeping preferences are different however this type of base may not be ideal for those who prefer a softer overall feel in general.
- How do these bed bases affect the life of your mattress: To begin with the type of base you choose will in turn affect the type of mattress you buy. Bed bases with a slatted structure lend well to a spring bases mattress where as a solid structured bed base such as a plywood platform top would compliment a dense foam mattress better. Overall choosing the right base and complimenting mattress will prolong its life expectancy making your investment last longer. Though there are other mattress care steps you can take to enhance its life expectancy.
- How do these bed bases affect your sleep experience: The main influences these base styles have on a mattress and your quality of sleep is the level of comfort they offer. The effects of a plywood or slatted base will vary from person to person. Therefore it’s recommended you try the different bases in store with the appropriate mattress to see which is best for you.