Armen Alajian runs Arto Brick, with his brother Varoujan Alajian – creating handcrafted elegant products and showcasing them for customers throughout the US. The company was originally founded in 1966 by Arto Alajian, and since then has used locally sourced raw materials to create quality products and hard surface designs. Armen and Varoujan also take pride in implementing a number of specific environmental policies to be responsible and sustainable designers. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Armen Alajian.
– Transcript –
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
Rustic Elegance; colors & textures that you want to touch. Not regulated to old world but part of all styles; Industrial Chic, Modern, Country.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
We design hard surfaces so our goal is to express who we are as a company. We build products that strengthen our brand .
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
Our founder Arto Alajian. He built the foundation of our brand by designing unique handcrafted products that even today stands out as being different in showrooms around the world.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
Hope this analogy works well in print. I view myself as a cook that uses garlic. I need to keep adding garlic in order to taste it. I do this visually and texturally
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Find out what type of people like your work. Focus on them. Trying to satisfy the whole market at the start will hurt your design. The people you focus on will spread the word because you took care of them.