Robert Deeming is the CEO of Vertigo Interiors offering classic furniture design to a new generation; based in San Francisco and Loughborough, in the UK. Robert is proud to offer furniture that is nearly identical to original pieces, reproducing long lost style and masterful designs. Vertigo Interiors is a family run company, resurrecting classic furniture designs from the likes of Eero Aarnio, Arne Jacobsen and Charles and Ray Eames. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Robert Deeming.
– Transcript –
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
For me it has always been ‘less is more’ accentuating the beautiful with plenty of space and light.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
A good old fashioned ‘brainstorm’ but not the boardroom flipchart type, more the scramble of thoughts and colours. Like a big jigsaw it all comes together in the end.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
Painters and musicians, it is always a marvel to me how they are born with such a gift. Although I believe you can learn some aspects of these things, the best are naturally bestowed this talent, although they have taught me to think about things in different ways.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
For me I look back in time! The past can always shape the future and we see it every day in so many ways and so many things. From films, photographs to objects, there is a plethora of ideas to seize upon.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
In a single word – determination. I always remember the childhood fable about the spider and his efforts in making his web, the try and try again philosophy. Always keep believing and never stop trying.