Kathy Brew is an arts and social issues documentary maker, who worked with her late partner Roberto Guerra, on the documentary, Design Is One: Lella & Massimo Vignelli. Kathy has worked on a number of other independent projects. She has also worked for WNET/Channel Thirteen in New York City and on the West Coast, KQED/Channel 9 in San Francisco. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Kathy Brew.
– Transcript –
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
My creative process is one of discovery and gradual revelation. I like a simple, intimate feel, without too many technical flourishes. Content is found in the material, not imposed on it.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
It’s like collecting beads. You know some of the beads you want, but not sure how they’ll string together. Eventually, once you start working with the material, the beads inform you.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
That’s a hard one to answer, as I’ve worked with so many interesting and creative people over the years. But I guess I would have to say that it is my beloved Roberto, who was my best friend/lover/collaborator for 17 years. He was such an inspiration to live and work with on a daily basis, with his inquisitive nature, his amazing creativity and eye, and love of the energy of the present moment.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
This varies, depending on what I’m working on. Taking a break in nature is always a good way to empty out and be open to new ideas.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
I’ve had a very diverse and varied career that has fed all of my thinking up to now. I’ve been open to opportunities but follow my heart and gut and listen to my intuition. It’s a cliché, but best advice is to be true to yourself, follow your bliss, and have gratitude for what comes your way.
DESIGN IS ONE: LELLA & MASSIMO VIGNELLI – Trailer from Roberto Guerra on Vimeo.