Adam Jones is the founder of Quercus & Co. a wallpaper and fabric design printing firm, working from Sydney, Australia. Adam adores colour and patterns, using it to uplift and energise his beautiful wallpaper, all of which is hand drawn before being digitally printed. He is also a graduate of Textile Art at Goldsmiths College, London as well as a former lecturer of colour and design at the University of Technology Sydney. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Adam Jones.
– Transcript –
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
Hand-drawn, painterly, colourful, playful and expressive.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
Once ideas are collected I consider how they ‘feel’. I pull together colour palettes and compose mock-ups of the patterns. The motifs are then all hand-drawn and stitched together in Photoshop.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
It would have to be my partner Vlad. I know this is an unimaginative reply but without doubt I couldn’t achieve what I do without him. It’s his focus on technology, business strategy and his organizational skills that are essential ingredients in managing a creative company.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
I look at art and craft from across the globe and throughout history. I love marks made on paper, smudges or blurs of paint or the construction of a textile piece.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Certainly, an early art education at Shrewsbury School of Art and later Goldsmiths College, London. Although I always ‘wanted’ and planned to start a pattern design business it was not until my mid 40’s that an urgency and fearlessness took over. “Listen quietly to what really excites you and be patient, it will come”.