Kristie Castagna is a professional blogger, interior stylist and colour consultant who established her blog Elements at Home in 2009. Kristie adores colour and design, and uses her blog to explore individual aspects of architecture, design, furniture, decorating and homewares. She used to work as a visual merchandiser for 7 years at Freedom and 5 years at David Jones, where she focused on retail design and styling. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Kristie Castagna.
– Transcript –
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
Clean Quirky Contemporary, monochrome and timber and a little bit mid century.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
Research. Talking it through and then finding the common denominator.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
My Husband, he is meticulous and great design interpreter. He has the structured design brain in the family.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
Find a piece of artwork or thread to build around. If I am designing a kitchen I find a style, colour or light to become the hero and this ends up being the theme of the design story.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
I love design and I love imparting my knowledge about design to make my clients and readers. I love helping them understand how I arrived at my design destination by explaining shapes or heights or colours and why they work in a space.