Kelly Beall is the author of online blog Design Crush, as well as a graphic designer and creative consultant based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Kelly used to work within advertising but finally took the plunge and became a designer, after having a life long passion for art and design. On her blog she catalogues her design inspiration, as well as showcasing everything that inspires her and she is currently working on. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Kelly Beall.
– Transcript –
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
Minimal, but unexpected. I like to keep things clean and simple but interesting at the same time.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
A new project always begins with inspiration and research, followed by the central element that the design will inevitably be built upon. The rest is experimentation until the end result is achieved.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
Jaime Derringer of Design Milk. She’s both a fantastic businesswoman and creative mind who isn’t afraid to push herself (and others) in order to achieve new levels of excellence.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
I keep an ongoing file of designs and elements that I love, so when I need inspiration I simply reach for that. I’ve used this method since getting my start in design and it’s never failed me yet.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Lots of hours and knowing that I would be doing what I do whether it was my full-time job or not. So really, it’s the passion I have for design. My advice to others who wish to do the same is to do what you love, stick with it, and put in the time. Hard work does pay off.