Laura Parker is a design, style and wedding planning blogger, sharing her portfolio of DIY projects on her blog The Mrs Makes. Laura loves blogging about her creative projects, including baking, sewing, crafting and creating a home with her Mr Makes. She is passionate about photography and usually carries a DSLR camera on her person. She also loves creating handmade goodies for her home and for weddings. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Laura Parker.
– Transcript –
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
I like minimalist, clean, light design. Bright and easy; everything should be beautiful, simple and do its job effortlessly.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
I find I like to work whilst the ideas are fresh in my mind, and if I think about the process too much, I lose my excitement and passion for the project.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
There are lists longer than my arms for this, but I am forever looking up to creative people who have worked hard to carve out their niche, are original and never compare their work to others. I admire their independence and sheer confidence in their own ability and ideas. Tracey Campbell of Campbell’s flowers and Jess Petrie (Photography) are some of the best creatives I have the pleasure of knowing.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
I love getting lost – running or in my favourite literature. At the moment it’s Kinfolk magazine, stocked in my shop.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
I feel like I’m only just getting started! I am slowly learning to do what I find interesting and exciting – not what I think I should be doing. I find myself exploring my creative streak every day. My advice? Sometimes you have to do what you feel, not what you think. You might be pleasantly surprised.