Jon Call is a young designer with a refined and savvy client-base, working from his own firm Mr Call Designs in downtown New York and Brooklyn. Jon offers his clients classic American style that is broad and free-spirited, balancing comfort with personality. He originally studied architecture in Seattle before moving to New York to work for Diamond Baratta, then Shawn Henderson and finally establishing his own firm in 2010. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Jon Call.
– Transcript –
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
As a designer, I use furnishings and other tangible items to connect to peoples senses and emotions. I want everyone to feel comfortable, elegant, and taken care of.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
First, I do creative writing – trying to figure out the “story” that I want to tell inside the space. From there I immediately start sketching.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
I mentored under Anthony Baratta in New York when I was fresh out of school. His passion for excellence, and ability for making dreams come true set a high bar. I continue to try to rise to it every day.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
The simplicity of good food seems to be a constant inspiration. Recently I was enjoying the last of Summer Heirloom tomatoes here in New York. They were so simple, so perfect, so….essential: A true luxury. I am obsessed to find an equivalent with Interior Design.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
My career is simply my continuing education in an industry that I am passionate about. Each project or success marks a milestone along the way. My advice to other creatives is to know what your unique gift is and don’t be afraid to share it with the world. Don’t let fear be your enemy.