Josep Motas is an independent designer, showcasing his unique geometrical patterns at his company Bussoga. Josep established his design firm in 2010 in order to produce his own mathematical designs. Based in Sant Jordi Desvalls in the Costa Brava, Josep loves the mediterranean and local area, which was once frequented by Salvador Dalí. In 2012 artist Irina Grosu joined the company, enabling Bussoga to become a lot more dynamic. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Josep Motas.
– Transcript –
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
There are many designers in the world but what makes me unique I think is the link between design and mathematical combinations. I love to design modular concepts.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
Designing patterns I usually start analysing the needs of the client, then I look for an icon that fits and finally I play with my mathematical skills to create a pattern.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
MC. Escher is probably my favorite artist. He is very famous today but that’s not always been the case. His work with mathematical concepts only became popular when he got older. I admire him for his artworks but also for his persistence. He was also a lover of the mediterranean sea, the same as me.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
I always try to think outside of the box, looking for a new or unusual approach. For example, if I design pottery, I never get inspired with other people’s pottery because the result wouldn’t be something new.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Money helps, but I’ve always refused to work for money alone. When I couldn’t find a company interested in my designs, I decided to establish Bussoga to produce them myself. It was hard, but then, some of my designs become well-known, and now I design for other companies too.