Melissa Sunday is the founder of So Festive, a party planning and celebrations blog she started in honour of her mom Marilyn. Melissa loves making the most of life by celebrating every occasion to the fullest. It is this love of party planning that she gets from her mom. On her blog she loves sharing ideas, recipes and traditions to help her readers to enhance their parties and special events. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Melissa Sunday.
– Transcript –
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
My decorating style is clean, organized, and full of straight lines with pops of color and varied patterns. Clutter stresses me out! Since I love to host, I take that into consideration when planning out furniture and placement.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
I never have a complete plan of how something will turn out. I just have to start and then the rest comes as I’m doing it. Sometimes I change something multiple times before I am satisfied with it.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
My college roommate and professional wedding photographer, Marcelle Calder (marcellecalder.com) has had a huge influence in my work. I admire her for staying true to herself and inspiring me to follow my dreams. I also love her style.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
I love browsing thrift stores or going outside for inspiration. For me, taking a step back (unplugging) and changing the scenery can be the best way to allow inspiration to come.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Passion has brought me to this point. If you don’t have passion for something, it won’t take long to get bored or tired. Do something you love and that you can have fun with. If I find that I’m not having fun anymore, I take a break or do something different to make it fun again.