Carly Sheppard has worked at Darlings of Chelsea for 5 years, progressing through the company to her current position of Senior Buyer. Darlings of Chelsea is home to the finest collection of quality sofas and sofa beds. They are specialists in their sector: they live and breathe sofas – the leather, the fabric, the build and the comfort. They also pride themselves on the quality of their sofas, all lovingly handmade, and on the standard of their customer service. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Carly Sheppard.
– Transcript –
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
Eclectic with a vintage touch. I tend to lean towards traditional sofa styles, which I love to juxtapose with contemporary fabrics.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
I love mixing textures, blending colours. I try to take seasonal trends into account but always end up going with what I personally feel works well aesthetically.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
On a visit to our Spanish manufacturer last year, to discuss new models for Darlings, I was overwhelmed by how creative and innovative their design process is. It was like stepping into Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory but for the world of sofas. It’s very satisfying knowing we are working with such a fresh and pioneering company.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
We work predominantly with leather but I personally love fabric. Some beautiful designs have been released this year, infusing classic vintage with a modern edge. I take inspiration from current collections to try and bring our customers the latest designs with a Darlings feel.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Darlings has nurtured my attraction to design. Working closely with other manufactures and designers is insightful and a process that I thoroughly enjoy. I love attending furniture shows and conventions, hunting for new, innovative yet classic products to bring to our customers.